TOPIC:

Support for Type 1 fonts 9 years 1 month ago #8634

• support
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 59
Dear Andrew,
sorry about the delay.
We decided to provide you an update to our answer.
There would be some unaddressed point yet, but we will definitively close all you questions in a few days.

2. What is supported in PDF Viewer SDK out of the box? I see that the following files are included in the PDF Viewer SDK: rdf008, rdf013, cmaps1, cmaps2, umaps1, umaps2. These files are set in Global.java via load_std_font() and setCMapsPath(). What are these? Do these have anything to do with the Type 1 fonts, or some other font support?

rdf008 and rdf013 are fonts used for internal purposes. For example rdf013 brings a narrow subset of Zapf Dingbats that enable the library to render correctly form fields like checkbox.
That fonts has been designed by us and don't infringe any copyright or trademark.
cmaps and umaps are unicode mapping: are needed to correctly handle foreign charset.

3. Is there already support in PDF Viewer SDK for Symbol and Zapf Dingbats fonts? If not, is there a recommendation for how to add support?

Within a new coming release we're integrating type 1 fonts alternative taken from license free fonts family. All the distributed fonts will be metrically compatible with original PS fonts.
The only one we're not able to reproduce yet is the Zapfs Dingbats.
We decided to design our own Zapf Dingbats substitute, it's not our normal work so we can't provide timings about that. We will update this forum thread as soon as we will have any news (we can only say that that specific font don't contain so much glyphs as alphabetic fonts are containing.

4. Is my example above the "correct" way to add support for Times and Courier?

5. Am I missing any font mappings for Times and Courier? I had to use trial and error to determine the font mappings I included in the example above. Is there a list of font names somewhere for referencing fonts in a PDF?

As the new release with free fonts will be released your issues with Courier, Times, Helvetica fonts will be solved.

About point 6 and 7: soon we will complete your request with answers to those questions too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: